Availability of MOLOPT basis sets

S Ling lingsa... at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:32:29 UTC 2015

To generate a new pseudopotential for Ca, you may try the ATOMIC code, but
I guess the current pseudopotential for Ca which was shipped with CP2K
distribution should be good enough for you. What you need is to produce a
new basis set for Ca, which is more complete than the DZVP-SR basis set
provided by CP2K distribution. To do that, you can try with the
OPTIMIZE_BASIS module. First, you perform a series of molecular
calculations with a basis set which is close to the complete basis set
limit. These accurate molecular calculations will serve as your reference.
Then you choose a proper format of the basis set that you would like to
optimize and provide initial guess for the Gaussian exponents and/or
contraction coefficients, and you use the OPTIMIZE_BASIS module to optimize
these variables by minimizing the electron density difference between the
basis set that you would like to fit and your reference calculations. I am
not sure if this explanation is clear enough. If not, I can try to produce
a basis set for you, either using the same Gaussian exponents in DZVP-SR,
or using more (and thus more diffused) Gaussian exponents if you believe
your specific system will really benefit from that. Note the DZVP-SR basis
set for Ca is already very diffused, with a small exponent of 0.055, which
I think should be good enough for majority extended systems. Also keep in
mind that a more complete basis set means much higher computational cost.

SL