How did I set the H atom as a “dummy” atom?

ning.zh... at gmail.com ning.zh... at gmail.com
Fri Jun 12 10:52:34 UTC 2015

Hi all,

I am using thermodynamic integration to compute free energy change and,
finally, I will obtain the pka (acid constant). To

get the MD trajectory of intermediate states between initial and final
states, I am using mixed type calculation of the

two end states. In the two force_eval sections corresponding to two end
states, I have to impose different restraints of some colvars. Let us use
the reaction H3O+ ---> H2O + H as an example. To describe the deproton of
the H3O+, it needs to obtain the free energy of this reaction. Considering
to the computation cost, one often use the 5-point simpson rule to
calculate the deltA. Furthermore, the charge of H atom is swithch off as a
"dummy" atom. And then, the averages of vertical energy gaps are calculated
over the restrained mapping Hamiltonian: H = (1-k)HR + kHP + Vr(HR is the
hamiltonian of reactant and HP is the hamiltonian of product, Vr is
restrained harmonic potential). However, Some confusions are available:
1) How did I set the H atom as a dummy atom?
2) I have written a input file. Does anybody have experience about this?

Ning