SCF convergence in NEB calculation

Marcella Iannuzzi marci... at gmail.com
Wed Jul 29 11:57:15 UTC 2015

Hi Tobias,

The replicas along the band should not be too distant. The algorithm
calculates the distant in terms of RMSD, and tries to evenly distribute
them along the path. Ideally the RMSD should be around 1-2 Å.

The energy profile that you sent does not look very promising indeed. You
should try to understand why the extrema are higher in energy.
Is it due to problems in the SCF, or it is true that the structures in the
middle are lower in energy?
How does the structure change at each step of the NEB?
What happens if you extract from the band some of those structures and you
start a standard GEO_OPT?

ciao
Marcella