Ineffective FIXED_ATOMS constraints in QS MD

Marco Caccin marco.... at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 11:25:20 UTC 2015

Hi Marcella,

Thanks a lot for the prompt reply!
As you suggested, switching from AD_LANGEVIN to NOSE solved the issue. I do
not strictly need to use an adaptive Langevin thermostat for my
calculations, but I chose it so that I made only one choice between my
different calculations (QM/MM md have Langevin), and also because a
colleague of mine was using AD_LANGEVIN for a very similar (although
unconstrained) system.
The system I'm trying to simulate is silica crack tip under tensile load
with water molecule(s) in the gap (hence constrained atoms at the boundary)
at constant temperature

The thermostat causing the issue also explains why the RMS displacement of
constrained atoms is about one order of magnitude smaller than the
unconstrained ones. May it be just a velocity of the Langevin part of the
AD_LANGEVIN thermostat slipping through the code and producing the bug?

Best regards,

Marco