How to specify the magnetic moment of each atom?

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Thu Feb 26 10:16:42 UTC 2015

Hi,

you can get what you are after by using the broken symmetry (&BS) keyword
within the &KIND block. It is a bit fiddly to use, but can be used to
specify the atomic guess used to generate the initial density matrix. The
are some threads in the forum and some stuff online if you look for it.

But, my preferred way of _trying_ to localize the spins is to use the
&CORE_CORRECTION keyword, again in the &KIND section. So in this case pick
the two Ce that you want to localize the electrons onto and make them a new
kind in your geometry file (Ce3 or something). Then in &KIND Ce3 add
&CORE_CORRECTION 0.5 or 1.0.  This increases the effective nuclear charge
of these atoms and makes it very likely the electrons will localize on
them. You can then do a rough geometry relaxation to get the lattice
distortion that might stabilize the localized electrons. Then you can
restart but setting the &CORE_CORRECTION back to 0.0. If you are using an
appropriate density functional then you have a decent chance of getting the
localization you want. For the O vac in CeO2 you can just run a triplet
calculation with the modified core charge on a couple of Ce and you should
get what you want without bothering with the broken symmetry guess.

Matt