Energy result of geometry optimization is not global minimum

Atthar Luqman Ivansyah atthar... at gmail.com
Sat Feb 14 11:04:19 UTC 2015

Dear all,

I did a geometry optimization on a system using QUICKSTEP. After finished,
i checked the output file and i found in this line :

--------  Informations at step =   147 ------------
  Optimization Method        =                 BFGS
  Total Energy               =     -2928.4571378203
  Real energy change         =         0.0000194690
  Predicted change in energy =        -0.0000052606
  Scaling factor             =         0.8953959951
  Step size                  =         0.0020678657
  Trust radius               =         0.4724315332
  Decrease in energy         =                   NO
  Used time                  =              211.784

  Convergence check :
  Max. step size             =         0.0020678657
  Conv. limit for step size  =         0.0030000000
  Convergence in step size   =                  YES
  RMS step size              =         0.0005392482
  Conv. limit for RMS step   =         0.0015000000
  Convergence in RMS step    =                  YES
  Max. gradient              =         0.0003227289
  Conv. limit for gradients  =         0.0004500000
  Conv. in gradients         =                  YES
  RMS gradient               =         0.0000894336
  Conv. limit for RMS grad.  =         0.0003000000
  Conv. in RMS gradients     =                  YES

>From that line, even though :
Convergence in step size   =                  YES
Convergence in RMS step    =                  YES
Conv. in gradients         =                  YES
Conv. in RMS gradients     =                  YES

but,
Decrease in energy         =                   NO

My question is :
Does it mean that the energy is not global minimum? as far as i know, when
we do some geometry optimization calculatioan, the final structure must
have energy which is global minimum because it is the most stable structure.

Thank you very much for your answer and your attention. I am sorry for my
silly question because i am newbie in cp2k.

highest regards,
atthar