FES and thermodynamic integration

Christopher O'Brien cjobr... at gmail.com
Wed Dec 9 18:40:40 UTC 2015

CP2K users,
When using the FES generation tool with the 'integrated-fes' option, can I
find the transition state free energy barrier by finding the difference
between the initial and maximum energy in the minimum energy path
discovered with the find-path option?

Or, do I need to thermodynamically integrate between the initial and
transition state to obtain the difference in free energy?

If I am using only a single COLVAR, do I need to preform thermodynamic
integration to find the free energy difference for the reaction?

More specifically, concerning the metadynamics FES generation tool, when
using the 'integrated-fes' option, is it performing the integration
specified in Laio and Parrinello 99 (20) 12562
(http://dx.doi.org/10.1073/pnas.202427399) from 2002? How does it do this
when using the COORDINATION COLVAR?

Thanks for any help you may offer,
Chris