Monte Carlo barostat

lar... at lbl.gov lar... at lbl.gov
Tue Dec 8 20:37:29 UTC 2015

Dear all,

Given the terrific MC capabilities of cp2k I was wondering is there is any
way of effectively implementing a MC barostat in an otherwise AIMD
simulation. Another way could be to run a MC simulation with just volume
changes every certain number of MD time steps. I often use meta-GGAs and
the stress tensor analytical calculation is not implemented, therefore
making impractical to use the NpT ensemble.

I have the feeling that hybrid MC may be the answer but I am not sure what
parameters are controlling what. Although there is an example in
tests/MC/regtest/ hmc.inp there is really no explanation of how it would
run (how often MC kicks in, etc.). Any help pointing me out to the critical
parameters (e.g NSTEP and NMOVES in the MC routine vs. STEPS in the MD
routine, etc) that control this type of simulations would be highly
appreciated. I'll also be happy to hear other possible ways of doing this.

Thanks!
Luis