[CP2K:6868] NaN Results with &BS

Henrique C. S. Junior henri... at gmail.com
Wed Aug 5 01:45:09 UTC 2015

Hi, S Ling, thank you for your answer, things are starting to make much more sense now.
After trying the values I still have the NaN issue:

Spin 1

 Guess for atomic kind: Cu1

 Electronic structure
    Total number of core electrons                                         18.00
    Total number of valence electrons                                      15.00
    Total number of electrons                                              33.00
    Multiplicity                                                   not specified
    S   [  2.00  2.00  2.00]
    P   [  6.00  6.00]
    D     15.00

                  Iteration          Convergence                     Energy [au]
                          1         0.00000                                  NaN

 Energy components [Hartree]           Total Energy ::                       NaN
                                        Band Energy ::                       NaN
                                     Kinetic Energy ::                       NaN
                                   Potential Energy ::                       NaN
                                      Virial (-V/T) ::                       NaN
                                        Core Energy ::                       NaN
                                     Coulomb Energy ::                       NaN
                       Total Pseudopotential Energy ::                       NaN
                       Local Pseudopotential Energy ::                       NaN
                    Nonlocal Pseudopotential Energy ::                       NaN
                                        Confinement ::                       NaN

 Orbital energies  State     L     Occupation   Energy[a.u.]          Energy[eV]

                       1     2         15.000            NaN                 NaN

  ----------------------------------- OT ---------------------------------------

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy    Change

  Trace(PS):                                             NaN
  Electronic density on regular grids:                   NaN                 NaN
  Core density on regular grids:              449.9998255599       -0.0001744401
  Total charge density on r-space grids:                 NaN
  Total charge density g-space grids:                    NaN

I was thinking that CP2k was starting from d10 in &ALPHA instead of d5 and from d10 in &BETA too. In this case, since I'm still getting the NaN, is it possible that something like this:
    &KIND  Cu1

      ELEMENT Cu

      BASIS_SET  DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH

      POTENTIAL  GTH-PBE-q11

      &BS

        &ALPHA

          NEL -1   0

          L    0   2

          N    4   3

        &END

        &BETA

          NEL -1  -2

          L    0   2

          N    4   3

        &END

      &END

    &END KIND

    &KIND  Cu2

      ELEMENT Cu

      BASIS_SET  DZVP-MOLOPT-SR-GTH

      POTENTIAL  GTH-PBE-q11

      &BS

        &ALPHA

          NEL -1  -2

          L    0   2

          N    4   3

        &END

        &BETA

          NEL -1   0

          L    0   2

          N    4   3

        &END

      &END

    &END KIND

Can give me the desired 5 electrons spin up and 4 spin down (and vice versa)?

----------Henrique C. S. Junior
Químico Industrial - UFRRJ
Mestrando em Química Inorgânica - UFRRJ
Centro de Processamento de Dados - PMP