AIMD simulation: increase of the number of the SCF cycles per MD step after some MD steps

Max latevimax.... at gmail.com
Fri Sep 26 14:13:41 UTC 2014

Hi,

I've done additional tests to try to figure out what may be going wrong. It
seems that,
for the open-shell systems I'm interested in, the performance of the chosen
preconditioner
is critical. Here's what I understand: the system is in a region of his
phase space wherein
after some MD steps, the guess wavefunction obtained by the ASPC method
starts to
depart from the BO surface and the use of the computationally cheap
preconditioners
(full_kinetic, full_single_inverse) do not help speed up the SCF
convergence. Regularly
resetting the extrapolation method by restarting the simulation is a
workaround. But,
besides being a rather tedious approach, I don't think there is an ideal
fixed number of
steps after which to restart the simulation: the issue always tends to show
up again, later.

With the full_all preconditioner, the simulation run rather smoothly ! As
expected, the
conserved quantity tend to be pretty well conserved over 1.5ps+, when using
timestep of 0.5fs or even of 1fs. The huge problem now is that a MD step is
taking
80s in average, with ~80% of the time dedicated to preconditioning. Is
there a way
to decrease the time spent in preconditioning ? I'm using currently
cp2k-2.5.1, the
mixed_precision algorithm cannot be combined with the full_all
preconditioner.
Is there an other way to do this? Are there changes made to preconditioning
in the
development version?

Best regards,
Max