AIMD simulation: increase of the number of the SCF cycles per MD step after some MD steps

Max latevimax.... at gmail.com
Wed Sep 10 13:44:48 UTC 2014

Dear CP2K users and developers,

I would like to perform a MD simulation for a transition metal complex in
water;
the complex being in an open-shell state. However, I'm facing an issue
which I
cannot resolve: the time taken by a MD step dramatically increases after
some
steps because of the increase of the number of SCF cycles (see
Figure_1.eps).

I first thought that this was due to the order chosen for the wavefunction
extrapolation
(ASPC 3), but the situation does not change when varying the order (1-4).

I usually tend to use rather conservative values for EPS_DEFAULT and CUTOFF
(1e-14 and 1000 Ry), and I was wondering if this could lead to a numerical
instability
in the present case. However increasing EPS_DEFAULT to 1e-12 does not
improve
the situation; likewise for using a smaller CUTOFF value of 500 Ry.

Please note that, when the simulation is restarted, the same phenomenon in
observed.
Thus, in Figure_2.eps, the simulation was restarted at ~1070 fs.

I made several attempts to find which mistake(s) I could have made (CG vs
DIIS
minimizer; EPS_SCF value of 1e-6 or 5e-7; CSVR versus NHC thermostating;
TIMESTEP
of 0.25 or 0.50 fs; PRECONDITIONER and ENERGY_GAP ...): but nothing came
out of
this.

There is perhaps a trivial error which I may be missing. Please let me
know: I have
attached the input file to the message.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best regards,
Max

P.S. For Figure_1.eps, the simulation was perfomed using the attached input
file. For
Figure_2.eps, there are the following changes: "EPS_DEFAULT 1.0E-12",
"EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER 1", "PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE".