Nickel cell optimization

Alex nedo... at gmail.com
Mon Sep 22 22:26:18 UTC 2014

Hi everyone. I'm trying to optimize a periodic (6x6x6) lattice of nickel
using either CELL_OPT or GEO_OPT (input attached). The simulation's been
running for several days on 8 cores, no SCF updates, it just hangs at

 ***                     STARTING GEOMETRY OPTIMIZATION
 ***
 ***                           CONJUGATE GRADIENTS
  ***

 Spin 1

 Number of electrons:
   9
 Number of occupied orbitals:
   9
 Number of molecular orbitals:
   26

 Spin 2

 Number of electrons:
   9
 Number of occupied orbitals:
   9
 Number of molecular orbitals:
   26

 Number of orbital functions:
  26
 Number of independent orbital functions:
  26

 Extrapolation method: initial_guess

 SCF WAVEFUNCTION OPTIMIZATION

  Step     Update method      Time    Convergence         Total energy
 Change

 BFGS minimizer doesn't seem like an option with this system size, so I
used CG... Am I doing something seriously wrong?

Thank you.