Nickel cell optimization

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Fri Oct 10 08:18:42 UTC 2014

> My question about UKS and smearing still stands though...
>
> Without UKS and smearing you'll get a spin averaged structure, no spin
polarization obviously. Normally the magnetic effects are actually rather
small, so you'll get say energy/volumes that are quite reasonable.

There will be lower energy solutions that are (anti)-ferromagnetic, spin
waves etc depending on the material. In general, you won't find these
unless you can construct a good initial guess - by setting a guess based on
spin polarized atomic calculations for instance (BS keyword in KIND). The
exception is the fully ferromagnetic, which you can just set the
multiplicity appropriately.

As you kept the UKS, probably the main change was reducing the ALPHA value
(~amount of new solution mixed into the new trial density) to 0.1.

HTH

Matt