Possible bug in DFT-D3

Leopold Talirz leopold... at gmail.com
Mon Oct 6 20:25:25 UTC 2014

Dear Flo,

thanks a lot for your reply and the link. Nice table with the cutoff values
for the elements by the way :)

Concerning our question - I completely agree with your point, where it
concerns quantities that are computed on the grids. Our question, however,
concerns only the *dispersion energy*. As far as I know (please correct me,
if I am wrong) both DFT-D2 and DFT-D3 compute the dispersion energy based
only on atomic coordinates.
If the interaction between the periodic replicas of the slab across the
vacuum region are set to zero by R_CUTOFF, then the dispersion energy
should be completely independent of the amount of vacuum. If you check the
values for the DFT-D2, you will find that the dispersion energies for the
two different amounts of vacuum are identical up to the last digit.

Best,
Leo