Choosing the right system size - supercell

Matt W MattWa... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 15:48:10 UTC 2014

Hi,

guess this fell through the net because it is so general a question that it
is impossible to answer in a way that is usefull/but correct in all cases:

The actual answer is that, at the moment without k-point sampling, your
cell needs to be large enough to converge the property you are interested
in - in all directions:i.e  a circular answer that is not helpful.

Crudely if you have at least a cell 1 nm in each direction, you'll probably
get something qualitatively reasonable, but the actual size needed will
depend on the system and property...

If you can say what band-gap, dielectric constant and properties you want
to calculate, then you might get a better hint. But still you should be
happy that your results are well enough converged for your purposes, which
means testing yourself, not asking a mailing list.

Cheers,

Matt