Fixing a bond in DFT

Andreas Funk fu... at chemie.uni-siegen.de
Thu Nov 13 12:47:30 UTC 2014

Dear Wei,

The first thing I see in your input is that you specify one colvar in
SUBSYS, but in MOTION you call two colvars. This cannot work. As it is only
one bond you specify as colvar, you should work with one colvar in the
CONSTRAINT section. Then you should keep it "fixed" like this in section
MOTION:

&CONSTRAINT
  &COLLECTIVE
    COLVAR 1
    INTERMOLECULAR
    TARGET 2.399706
    &RESTRAINT
      K 1.0
    &END RESTRAINT
  &END COLLECTIVE
&END CONSTRAINT

Please keep in mind that the distance you want it to be fixed (TARGET) is
in bohrs, not angstroms. You need to experiment a little with the force
constant for the restraint. Check it in your runs if it is sufficient to
keep the bond length fixed within your desired accuracy. In principle, it
should do the job. I have used this kind of constraint successfully for
both, geometry optimizations and MD.

Best regards

Andreas