[CP2K:5819] Removing DFTB interaction between particular atoms?

Rafael Soler-Crespo rasole... at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 15:44:37 UTC 2014

Dear Ralph,

Thanks! Your suggestion seems to have done the trick, and everything is
looking great. I did a quick simulation with a couple of these B-B bonds
monotonically straining the box, and the system seems to be following
fracture mechanics quite well. Nonetheless, I have a quick question
regarding classifying the atom as a real element (in this case, boron) and
some problems that may cause in actual implementations.

If I run molecular mechanics and/or molecular dynamics informed with DFTB
energies and, consequently, forces, will the mass, atomic radii and stored
information for boron be used in the calculation instead of carbon's for B
atoms? I bring this up because when I print with one B atom present in my
input, using a HIGH level of output, the output contains the mass of a
boron atom (and its relevant information) when printing the structure
initially. However, in xx.spl, xc.spl and cx.spl we have forcefully defined
the mass of the system as that of a C atom. I'm just worried doing
molecular mechanics and/or molecular dynamics with this setup will end up
giving wrong mechanics/dynamics, as the atomic information for the B atoms
in the "cracked bond" are incorrect so as to circumvent CP2K and use our
own parameter sets.

What do you think?

Thanks for both your time and patience,
Rafael