Why does lagrangian metadynamics puts hills at the prior location in the *HILLS.metadynLog?

John jj... at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 3 22:25:57 UTC 2014

CP2K wizards,

I noticed that the hills listed in *HILLS.metadynLog appear to lag by one
timestep behind the history in *COLVAR.metadynLog file when Lagrangian
metadynamics is used.

Check for example the regression test "hcn_meta_chaincoord.inp" in the
QS\regtest-gps-2 test folder.

The metadynamics placed a hill at t=5.0 femtoseconds when  ss0=5.6857498
according to "hcn_chaincoord_c-COLVAR.metadynLog" but
"hcn_chaincoord_c-HILLS.metadynLog" lists the hill at ss0=0.57182 which is
the value of the collective variable for the previous step.  Especially
when these values are the same in both *COLVAR.metadynLog and
*HILLS.metadynLog when lagrangian dynamics are not used as in the
H2O-meta_coord test in the same folder.

I do not believe this is correct.  The value ss0 should be the same for the
hcn_chaincoord_c-HILLS.metadynLog and hcn_chaincoord_c-COLVAR.metadynLog.
Is there something I don't understand?

John J. Low
Argonne National Laboratory