[CP2K:5421] Binding energy of graphene bilayer: CHARMM vs. DFT-D3

Robert Yang yangrob... at gmail.com
Fri Jun 20 19:18:34 UTC 2014

Dear Juerg,

thank you for your response.

On Friday, June 20, 2014 4:47:27 PM UTC+2, jgh wrote:

> Hi
>
> - first question: What is the value given in literature?
>   I'm sure there are others that have calculated this.

The values given by other DFT calculation are around 40 meV/atom. But it is
not clear whether they normalized the total binding energy by the total
number of atoms in both layers or in a single layer. If normalized by the
atom number in bi-layer, my DFT result is close to reported results. If
normalized by atom number in a single layer, my classical result sounds to
be correct.

> - Are your values based on a single geometry (and stacking) or
>   did you optimize geometry and cell size?

Actually I had done more calculations, for instance the dependence of the
binding energy on the vertical distance between the two layers, and the
variation of the binding energy with the lateral sliding between layers.

> - Your relative cutoff is rather low (25).

For such a pure carbon system, would this value of relative cutoff be
enough?  I am going to do other simulations with higher cutoff, would 100
be OK?

But I am wondering the cutoff value will give such a big influence, the
current DFT result is two times of that of classical FF calculation.

Thanks again for the response!

Best wishes,
Robert