[CP2K:4719] dbcsr error when applying periodic efield

David Stelter base... at gmail.com
Wed Oct 30 14:38:51 UTC 2013

Hi Matt and Flo,

There seem to be some descrepencies in the methods mentioned above. I've
done a few tests on a single water molecule with multiple versions of
EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL and PERIODIC_EFIELD as well as no efield.

The energies I obtained for a single water for various inputs are as
follows with an inputted/ideal e-field strength of 0.1 V/angstrom
1) no field, E =   -15.902943301939017

2) PERIODIC_EFIELD, E =   -15.901968922615296

3) EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL in the FORCE_EVAL section only, E =
 -15.90294330193902

4) EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL in the DFT section only, E =   -16.227568014660498

5) EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL in both sections, E =   -15.971096979028731

It seems there is another section of EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL that works under
the FORCE_EVAL section rather than DFT. At first inspection, it seems that
this section would only apply to the MM region of the cell as there is
basically no difference between values 1 and 3. However, as you can see,
there is a large difference between 4 and 5 where EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL is
applied to both the DFT and FORCE_EVAL sections.

Additionally, it should be noted that PERIODIC_EFIELD is being used with a
value of 20x10^-4 au in the Y direction, which corresponds to
~0.1V/angstrom while EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL is being used via the function
Y*(A/B) with values of 0.1 [eV] and 1 [angstrom] as suggested by Matt to
obtain a 0.1V/angstrom field. However, as you can clearly see, the energy
values are VERY different which leads me to believe there is something
wrong! I am not using ROKS or QM/MM for this sim thus PERIODIC_EFIELD
should work fine; additionally the manual is very clear and explicit by
saying the input is in au. This makes me fairly confident in the accuracy
of this calculation for the energy of 1 QM water in a 0.1V/angstrom field

I am still unsure regarding the units of EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL. eV/Angstrom is
a force, multiplied by Z, a unit length, brings us back to an energy of 0.1
eV which is being applied to the system. I guess I am confused regarding
Matt's calculation of efield strength from 0.1 eV/Angstrom input. Any light
that can be shed on how the EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL process works and how the
potential is being applied would be great as I am certain that the input
for EXTERNAL_POTENTIAL is resulting in a field strength much higher than
0.1 V/angstrom.

I've attached my input/output files of the sims. It should also be noted
that these input files came from the test folder of cp2k and are identical
except for the various electric field codes.

Thanks,
David