[CP2K:4782] some strange phenomena on running CP2K with PBE functional

Huan Wang huan... at mail.huji.ac.il
Mon Oct 28 06:51:53 UTC 2013

Dear Marcella,

Thank you for your reply. I know what your mean that the increasing number
of SCF cycles leads to the longer time to converge the wave function.

But it does not make sense, because I also checked the BLYP results. For
the same benzene-water cluster with the same input settings, when I used *
32-CUP*, the CPU-time increased from about 40 second per step to about 150
second per step after 1200 steps and *the SCF cycles also increased from 8
to 37*.

However, when I stopped this calculation and restarted it with *8-CPU*, it
only takes about 40 second per step, *the SCF cycles was about 7*. And most
importantly, the speed and SCF cycles were very stable until finished the
whole 10000 steps.

When I restarted this calculation again with 32-CPU, the CPU-time was
around 150 second per step and SCF cycles was about 41.  *These tests were
performed in the same node.*

It so strange. Why the same calculation takes different number of
iterations when using different number of CPU?

And back to the PBE functional, since I tried 8-CPU, 16-CPU, 24-CPU and
32-CPU for PBE funcitional, the calculation speed always slowed down after
several steps. Why PBE functional do not have an "optimized performance" as
BLYP functional with 8-CPU?   Is it common that the speed of calculation
with PBE functional slower than that with BLYP functional?

Best regards,
Huan