Binding energy

Andreas Achazi ajal... at gmail.com
Sat Nov 30 11:14:56 UTC 2013

Dear all,

I would like to determine the binding energy of a dimer in solution.

I simulated the bound dimer and the unbound dimer surrounded by methanol
with classical MD in GROMACS. The system consists of 800 Atoms (C, N, O and
H-Atoms).

Now would like to calculated the bound state and the unbound state with
cp2k ( with BLYP-D3) and compare the energy.

But I don't know how to get comparable energies.

I would now start to optimize cells with CELL_OPT (with DIRECT_CELL_OPT).
Than optimize the structure with GEO_OPT.

So my questions are:

Is this the best way or is there a other way to get the binding energy?

Is it possible to calculated the binding energies in this way?

I fear that the cells of bound and unbound state after the optimizations
have not exactly the identical dimensions. In addition, the starting
structure (that I received with GROMACS) leads possibly not to the global
minimum.

greetings

Andreas