ROKS in cp2k

Gül gulbek... at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:10:42 UTC 2013

Dear cp2k users,

I have seen some of your cp2k replies about ROKS problems in cp2k. I would
like to ask a specific question about S1 state ROKS calculations.

I am trying to simulate pi-->pi* transition of a chromophore by using ROKS
implementation in CP2K. I got confused in the section LOW_SPIN_ROKS. My
choice for this calculation by concerning the singlet symmetry is:

MULTIP 1
&LOW_SPIN_ROKS
    ENERGY_SCALING 2.0 -1.0
    SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1  1
    SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1  2
&END LOW_SPIN_ROKS
&SCF
&OT  T
    MINIMIZER DIIS
    PRECONDITIONER  FULL_SINGLE
    ROTATION
&END OT

Almost calculation with MULTIP 1 with different spin configurations are
crashed. Then I have tried various variations of the energy scaling and the
spin configurations to check weather the energies make sense by using
ethylene as a benchmark system. Besides I of course looked the cp2k google
mail list about LOW_SPIN_ROKS and could not find clear explanation how to
define S1 state calculation.

I have got only one reasonable result from the input below but still I do
not know if this energy correspons to S1 or T1:

MULTIP 3
&LOW_SPIN_ROKS
    ENERGY_SCALING 2.0 -2.0
    SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1  1
    SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1  2
&END LOW_SPIN_ROKS
&SCF
&OT  T
    MINIMIZER DIIS
    PRECONDITIONER  FULL_SINGLE
    ROTATION
&END OT

I would be very glad if you give any hint how to do S1 state ROKS in CP2K.
Thank you very much for your attention.

Regards,

Gül