Energy conservation NVT/NVE simulation

marco masia marco... at gmail.com
Wed Sep 12 13:38:52 UTC 2012

Dear all,

recently I have noticed the same problem with FIST simulations. I took the
H2O-32_ewald.inp input, equilibrated it for 1 ns and run a 1ns NVE
simulation from the thermalized configuration. I have tried to refine many
simulation parameters (e.g. time step, RCUT, Ewald pars) and also (thinking
that there was a bad implementation of constraints) I run the simulations
for a flexible model. I always get a non-negligible drift (see attachment);
the graph shows block averaged energies of 1 ns simulations performed with
cp2k and obeli.x (a program of mine). The values are shifted for a better
comparison. I have been looking into this, thinking that the problem was in
the input file...but since other people are experiencing it with QS, I
wonder if there is some bug in the velocity verlet routines. The results
are platform independent (I tried both on mac and linux).

best

marco

On Wednesday, September 5, 2012 3:32:26 AM UTC-4, albe... at virgilio.it