[CP2K:4045] Re: Energy conservation NVT/NVE simulation

paolo nicolini nik... at yahoo.it
Wed Oct 10 09:48:07 UTC 2012

Hi,

I tried some test to assess the suggestions from Jorg and Matt. It follows
the results.
First the Matt's suggestions (all_matt_50ps.png):
- only decreasing the time step to 2.0 fs don't change the effect (red
lines in NVT and NVE runs);
- putting the SHAKE_TOLERANCE key allows to get better results in the NVT
runs but in the NVE ones it is appreciable a drift (blue and green lines).
However, the outcome is that the results with time step 2.0 and 2.5 are
quite indistinguishable.

Regard to Jorg's suggestions (all_jorg_50ps.png):
- only changing the ewald parameter we get a drift even larger (red lines);
- by combining ewald changes with an enlarged shake tolerance I get the
correct behaviour (blue lines).

To confirm it, I performed also a run with flexible molecules (all_flexible_50ps_cut.png)
and I got almost flat profiles.

I tried also to change the real space cutoff value (that is not the same of
the LJ interactions) but I got identical results as the one that I showed.

Best
Paolo