Is it possible to study/converge magnetic surfaces? repost..

marci marc... at pci.uzh.ch
Fri Oct 28 10:58:03 UTC 2011

Dear Roman,

For a metallic system it is recommended to use additional MOS and
Fermi-Dirac smearing.
By doing so within spin-polarized calculations, the total number of
electrons per spin channel is not constrained to be an integer number,
because the distribution of the occupation numbers is done on the
basis of the energy level of each state with respect to the Fermi
energy, irrespective of its spin.
The total number of electrons per spin is simply the integral of the
charge density associated to that spin.
Estimates of the momentum per atom can be obtained by the population
analysis

Best
Marcella