FIST bug?

Matt W mattwa... at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 11:01:39 UTC 2011

Hi Guys,

I've just had a very quick look and I think it is a PME bug. Not SPME,
not QS. Particularly, the QS RS grids are pretty well tested.

If I change the EWALD section to

      &EWALD
        EWALD_TYPE spme
        ALPHA .44
        NS_MAX 25
        GMAX 64 64 64
      &END EWALD

then there is no problem with 8,16 32 procs. All give the same energy

out_spme_8.out: ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( FIST ) energy (a.u.):
-0.000148559882818
out_spme_16.out: ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( FIST ) energy
(a.u.):       -0.000148559882818
out_spme_32.out: ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( FIST ) energy
(a.u.):       -0.000148559882818

I believe that the PME uses a second smaller grid for some purposes -
I would guess that there is some inconsistency in the treatment of the
larger and smaller grids.  I'll try and have a proper look but people
who know the PME code might spot it more quickly.

In summary: there is a bug with PME and at least some distributed
grids. But no evidence for problems with other methods.

Cheers,

Matt

(previous mail to the group got bounced so reposting via google gui)