[CP2K:3205] FIST bug?

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 05:00:53 UTC 2011

Hi Noam,

I can confirm your bug report. The issue is related to the relatively new distribution RS_GRID (a couple of years old..).
This means that the same issue could be present also in QS jobs (they share the same infrastructure).

Matt who worked on this stuff is in CC. The issue can be reproduced with this simple input file:

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD FIST
  &MM
    &FORCEFIELD
      parm_file_name water.pot  ! (just use the one in tests/Fist/sample_pot/)
      parmtype CHM
      &CHARGE
        ATOM OT
        CHARGE -0.8476
      &END CHARGE
      &CHARGE
        ATOM HT
        CHARGE 0.4238
      &END CHARGE
    &END FORCEFIELD
    &POISSON
      &EWALD
        EWALD_TYPE pme
        ALPHA .44
        NS_MAX 25
      &END EWALD
    &END POISSON
  &END MM
  &SUBSYS
    &CELL
      ABC 24.955 24.955 24.955
    &END CELL
    &COORD
OT   -0.757  -5.616  -7.101    MOL1
HT   -1.206  -5.714  -6.262    MOL1
HT    0.024  -5.102  -6.896    MOL1
OT  -11.317  -2.629  -9.689    MOL2
HT  -11.021  -3.080 -10.480    MOL2
HT  -10.511  -2.355  -9.252    MOL2
    &END
  &END SUBSYS
&END FORCE_EVAL
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT water_3_dist
  RUN_TYPE ENERGY_FORCE
&END GLOBAL

If the poisson section is substituted with this one:

    &POISSON
      &EWALD
        EWALD_TYPE pme
        ALPHA .44
        NS_MAX 25
        &RS_GRID
         DISTRIBUTION_TYPE REPLICATED
        &END
      &END EWALD
    &END POISSON

where the distribution_type is set to replicated the bug disappears. So it is triggered by a certain combination of grid points and by the distributed type (which automatically is activated for 16 procs - 2..8 procs instead have replicated type).
All module which use RS_GRID (FIST is just one)  may be affected by this bug, including QS.

Regards,
Teo