[CP2K:1931] Re: QMMM: MM SPLINE: no convergence

Laino Teodoro teodor... at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 23:51:14 UTC 2009

Mechanical coupling means that the QM and the MM system interact
electrostatically only at the classical level.
If you want an electrostatic-coupling between QM and MM (where the
effect of the charge is directly in the DFT scheme)
you need to use GAUSSIAN for E_COUPL keyword.

I would suggest you to read one of the main feature articles on QM/MM
(about the possible coupling schemes).

If you decide to go for the E_COUPL GAUSSIAN I would suggest you to
read as well the paper on which
it is based the implementation in CP2K.

On 22 Mar 2009, at 11:55, Peter Mamonov wrote:

> Thank you Teodoro!
>
> Excuse me for bothering you, but I'm still in doubt. For example about
> this piece of output:
>
> SPLINE_INFO|     Spline number:      1
> SPLINE_INFO|     Spline number      1  Unique number    102   Kinds
> involved:      1      1
> SPLINE_INFO|     Number of points used in the Splines: 545789
> SPLINE_INFO|     Accuracy requested:    0.000000100000
> SPLINE_INFO|     Accuracy achieved:     0.000000092134
> SPLINE_INFO|     RMIN and RMAX  used for spline (bohr):
>    0.900000 1000.000000
> SPLINE_INFO|     RMIN and RMAX used to achieve spline accuracy (bohr):
>    0.900366 1000.000000
> SPLINE_INFO|     Spline value at RMIN (Hartree):    0.002769639
> SPLINE_INFO|     Spline value at RMAX (Hartree):    0.000000000
> SPLINE_INFO|     Electrostatic and Non-Bonded Cutoffs:    0.000002500
>   0.000000000
>
> The code uses the value of ~500A (1e3 Bohr) for RMAX, but i've set 50A
> cutoff for non-bonded interactions, and the system is non-periodic. It
> also uses enormous number of points to define spline, compared to
> other pairs.
>
> Do these figures look reasonable to you?

This happens for the following reason:

The van der waals between the QM types are switched off (the pair
potential is then zeroed and by default the maximum upper limit is
chosen, which is 1000.).
Normally for electrostatic embedding this is not a problem since on
the interval 0-1000.
the spline is uniformly zero, so if you choose 1000. or 50. you will
always use 2 points to
map that spline.
But if you choose (like you did) electrostatic coupling NONE
(mechanical) then
on this spline we need still to map the pure coulomb (1/r).
While for pure FIST this potential is somehow attenuated by the LJ
(therefore you see
a better spline build-up), for QMMM runs the single Coulomb potential
(1/r) is much difficult
to converge not for the large cutoff (1000.) but for the function
behavior at r->0.
Keep in mind, in fact, that we don't use equi-spaced splines in the X-
domain, but splines equispaced in the
1/X-domain (which means that roughly 90% of the points are
accumulated for small values of R, close to the
divergence of the 1/r potential).

After all this.. I must say that what you observe is the correct
behavior.

Although playing with EPS* and other keywords may solve this issue..
you should think more whether few things like
the periodicity NONE for the classical part and e-coupling for qm/mm
are really the things you want..

Cheers,
Teo