[CP2K:1930] Re: QMMM: MM SPLINE: no convergence

Peter Mamonov pmam... at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 10:55:13 UTC 2009

Thank you Teodoro!

Excuse me for bothering you, but I'm still in doubt. For example about
this piece of output:

SPLINE_INFO|     Spline number:      1
SPLINE_INFO|     Spline number      1  Unique number    102   Kinds
involved:      1      1
SPLINE_INFO|     Number of points used in the Splines: 545789
SPLINE_INFO|     Accuracy requested:    0.000000100000
SPLINE_INFO|     Accuracy achieved:     0.000000092134
SPLINE_INFO|     RMIN and RMAX  used for spline (bohr):
   0.900000 1000.000000
SPLINE_INFO|     RMIN and RMAX used to achieve spline accuracy (bohr):
   0.900366 1000.000000
SPLINE_INFO|     Spline value at RMIN (Hartree):    0.002769639
SPLINE_INFO|     Spline value at RMAX (Hartree):    0.000000000
SPLINE_INFO|     Electrostatic and Non-Bonded Cutoffs:    0.000002500
  0.000000000

The code uses the value of ~500A (1e3 Bohr) for RMAX, but i've set 50A
cutoff for non-bonded interactions, and the system is non-periodic. It
also uses enormous number of points to define spline, compared to
other pairs.

Do these figures look reasonable to you?

> Keep in mind that you are using the default E_COUPL, which is the
> mechanical coupling (the electrostatic QM-MM
> coupling is done at the level of classical forcefield).

So, do i understand correctly: this means, that electrostatic term due
to MM point charges is added to the DFT functional, while MM atoms
interact with QM-generated point charges on QM atoms?

Thanks,
Peter