methane in a water box with FIST

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Thu Mar 12 17:03:08 UTC 2009

On Mar 12, 11:39 am, Teodoro Laino <teodor... at gmail.com> wrote:
> This is not possible (NPT ensemble supports only as possible thermostats
> NOSE and CVSR).
> I agree with you that LANGEVIN is just another kind of thermostat and
> should stay between the
> other thermostats. But it was developed as a different ensemble.. maybe
> one day it will disappear
> and reappear between the thermostats.. For the time being  I would
> recommend you for this case
> the CSVR . It's quite effective (have a look at the original paper).

marius,

two comments.

if i understood the CSVR algorithm correctly, it is actually
not very different from using langevin dynamics with a small friction
coefficient (which is what people using NAMD typically do, for
example).

as for "wrapping" coordinates back into the principle unit cell.
check out: http://www.ks.uiuc.edu/Research/vmd/plugins/pbctools/

pbc wrap -orthorhombic -compound res -all

should do what people usually expect, and fairly efficient, too.

please note, pbctools have seen some significant improvements and
bugfixes and you may need to download a VMD alpha test version
(they are actually not _that_ experimental currently) to get a version
that is consistent with the online documentation (and has lots of
other interesting goodies. ;-) ).

cheers,
   axel.