[CP2K:1459] molecular dipoles of charged molecules

Laino Teodoro teodor... at gmail.com
Sun Oct 19 15:26:25 UTC 2008

Ciao Axel,

I checked carefully the part of the code connected with the
calculation of the dipoles (both total and for each molecule)
when using the wannier centers, i.e.:

DFT%PRINT%LOCALIZATION%MOLECULAR_DIPOLES
DFT%PRINT%LOCALIZATION%TOTAL_DIPOLE

While for MOLECULAR_DIPOLES they are always computed w.r.t the
position of the first atom in the molecule,
the TOTAL_DIPOLE was (as you said) totally position dependent.
Moreover, as I mentioned, it was absolutely not
related to the other possible way of computing dipoles: DFT%PRINT%
MOMENTS

Therefore:
-) MOLECULAR_DIPOLES and TOTAL_DIPOLE are now print_key sections
inside localization.
-) both sections have the same possible parameters as MOMENTS, i.e.:
PERIODIC (if the dipole should be
    computed with the berry phase or not), REFERENCE and
REFERENCE_POINT.
-) While these keywords are fully implemented for the TOTAL_DIPOLE
section, they are not for MOLECULAR_DIPOLES
    since I think the convention used (i.e. to compute the dipole
w.r.t. the first atom in the molecule) is already quite good.
    In case somebody will really need it, the implementation is quite
straightforward..

Hope this solves your issue.
Teo