[CP2K:1574] Re: UNIT in &CELL and UNIT for output

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Tue Nov 25 14:13:39 UTC 2008

Hi Toon,

I understand your point of view. But....:

1) Creating a totally new standard would require a too huge effort.. and
let me say that it does not pay back at the moment.
2) There is, still, the idea to borrow some more developed standard..
something similar to COST Q5 over hdf5.
But this is still an idea.
3) Putting a standardized header could be the way to go.. but the point
is that the choice of the unit of measure for output quantities is
supported for all formats (this means formatted and unformatted). and
most of these formats do not accept an header, unless you don't break
the format itself.
4) The idea of being able to choose the units of measure for output
quantities is just HOT. This solves quite many issues, like the one of
Ondrej and others in the past.

Having said all this.. I don't see any practical way of  working around
the problem you mention, unless one works in a clean way (i.e. keeping
track of all he is doing, with notes, README files and so).
Of course I'm totally opened to smart ideas which can be potentially
used, without breaking the formats (XYZ, DCD and so).

A new standard, which would include all output + units, would seem the
way to go.. but there is not human time available at the moment. Do you
volunteer?

Cheers
Teo