[CP2K:1571] UNIT in &CELL and UNIT for output

Toon Verstraelen toon.ver... at UGent.be
Tue Nov 25 13:58:48 UTC 2008

Hi Teo,

Your efforts to get the dinosaurs out of the code are apreciated for sure. I'm a
bit worried about the configurable unit for the output files. This can be nasty,
e.g. when one has to post-process someone else's output files. Most of the times
this is a total disaster, certainly when I'm not totally sure about the units in
the output files.

Are there plans for a standardized binary output format that contains all the
simulation data in a fixed unit, e.g. atomic units. This would avoid a lot of
misery. Another possible solution would be a standardized header that contains
the unit conventions used in the rest of the output file. The latter is maybe a
bit trickier? Are there any long term plans in this direction?

cheers,

Toon

--
ir. Toon Verstraelen