1st CP2K Tutorial @ CECAM

Teodoro Laino teodor... at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 17:40:34 UTC 2008

Dear CP2K community,
We would like to draw your attention on the 1st CP2K tutorial @ CECAM.
The tutorial will be from February 10-13, 2009 and is organized at the
CECAM node ETH-Zurich, Switzerland.

For full information and application see
http://www.cecam.org/workshop-273.html .

I would appreciate if you could bring the present announcement to the
attention of colleague researchers that might
be interested.

With kind regards,
the CP2K tutorial team.

                        ANNOUNCEMENT 1st CP2K CECAM TUTORIAL
                            ETH - Zurich (Switzerland), February 10-13, 2009
                                 http://www.cecam.org/workshop-273.html

The 1st CP2K tutorial aims to introduce researchers in the field of
molecular simulations to
the broad collection of computational tools implemented within the CP2K
program package,
and to encourage modular, flexible, and problem oriented thinking while
using them.

We specifically plan to cover the use of different levels of theory:
ab-initio DFT, classical Hamiltonians, semi-empirical NDDO and hybrid
QM/MM simulations.
In a second step, we then intend to demonstrate how to apply those
levels of theory to several
methods - provided by CP2K- for exploring potential and free energy
surfaces, to characterize
molecular reactions or physical phenomena. In particular: molecular
dynamics, band methods,
ionic relaxation methods, vibrational analysis, meta-dynamics, and
alchemical free energy
calculations.

Although brief introductions will be provided, both for the different
levels of theory and for the
explorative tools, emphasis will be placed on their practical usage and
the relevant implementation
details in CP2K.
Therefore, this first tutorial deliberately targets researchers with
experience in fields where the
presented techniques are well established, and who already possess a
strong background in
computational chemistry or physics.

Ideally the participating researchers would then teach less experienced
people in their respective
delegating groups. The number of participants is restricted to a maximum
of 20 attendees.
Selection will be performed on the basis of the personal curriculum.
A working knowledge of UNIX/Linux systems is mandatory. A good reference
point for the
participants' background is the content of the CECAM School MolSim2009.

There is no participation fee and partial support will be available for
selected attendees (more
details regarding the financial support  will follow upon reviews of our
selected sponsors).

DEADLINE FOR SUBSCRIPTION IS JANUARY 12, 2009
Applications, complete of a motivation letter and a short CV, can be
submitted through the
CECAM website: http://www.cecam.org/workshop-273.html

A forum has been opened at the URL:
http://groups.google.com/group/cp2k_tutorial, in order to
facilitate the exchange of information and the sharing of experiences
during and after the tutorial.