[CP2K:888] Re: Variable cell optimization

Nichols A. Romero naro... at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 21:16:27 UTC 2008

Rad,

For a material like diamond, a fluctuation of 50 kbar should be expected
(even larger). That's only 5 GPa.

My experience with DFT is that converging the pressure to less than 1 kbar
is unrealistic. So worrying about
bars is a waste of time. The story is probably different for interatomic
potential-based calculations. I cannot
comment on those.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 4:36 PM, Teodoro Laino <teodor... at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Rad,
>
> On 26 Mar 2008, at 21:20, Rad wrote:
>

> > Teo,
> >
> > Couple of feedback: the volume is printed in Angstrom in some places
> > and bohr in other places. Is it possible to sick to one unit (just
> > bohr) so that post processing scripts people set up can stay as they
> > are?
> the .cell file is always in ANGSTROM. the output on the screen is
> according the unit that you
> specified in your input file (if you use angstrom you will get
> angstrom, if you use bohr you will get bohr)..
> Use the .cell file for post-processing if you don't like the idea
> that the output depends on the unit that
> you decide to use.
>
> > The output produces a bunch of restart files for wavefunction and
> > Restart*restart. (this is for the case of GEO_OPT option). When I
> > restart the calculation which one I should use?
> The files generated during the geometry optimization are tagged *-
> GEO_OPT-*..
> you should also have a normal restart file without the -GEO_OPT-..
> use that one!
> In case you do MD instead of GEO_OPT you will find MD.
>
> > As usual convergence is always a tricky one. I am trying small systems
> > and having issues with pressure fluctuating wildly, starting with few
> > bars and reaching 50 kbars withing few steps. I will do few more runs
> > (QS, GPW) and get back to you on this. The second item is the one I
> > need a response before restarting my calculations.
> Rad, for material that are quite hard of course small variations of
> the cell have large fluctuations in the pressure.
> You can play with the bunch of parameters of the CELL_OPT section
> (specifically with the LS 2PNT for reducing
> the max_allowed_step) to get a safer optimization..
>
> Teo
>

> > Thanks a lot for this most anticipated module for our team.
> >
> > Rad
> >
> > On Mar 25, 9:03 am, Rad <rad.... at arl.army.mil> wrote:
> >> Thanks Teo,
> >>
> >> I just got back from my vacation and it is a great news. I will
> >> get to
> >> it immediately as I am working on several systems for which this
> >> method would be ideal.
> >>
> >> Rad

Nichols A. Romero, Ph.D.
DoD User Productivity Enhancement and Technology Transfer (PET) Group
High Performance Technologies, Inc.
Reston, VA
443-567-8328 (C)
410-278-2692 (O)