CP2K in IBM PWR5 machinces

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 21:02:21 UTC 2008

dear yunfeng!

On Mar 17, 12:15 pm, "LIANG Yunfeng" <liangy... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear Fawzi,
>
> I have now compiled a working cp2k in AMD Opertron machince. It is
> encouraging...

excellent!

> Now I'm convinced that I have to compile lapack by my own. But I found it is
> related to lots of flags...could you attach your make.inc file (for lapack)
> for me?

you don't really need a lot of flags
(just use the ones that cp2k suggests and
perhaps lower the optimization level).
the major performance from LAPACK comes
through the use of BLAS and that one is
contained in an optimized form in ESSL.

> Second question is: in IBM SMP machince, does cp2k work with BLAS (netlib)

you don't need to compile BLAS. just use ESSL instead.
the main reason for compiling LAPACK on your own is that
IBM's ESSL contains a few LAPACK calls where the calling
sequence is different from the current LAPACK release.
by compiling LAPACK yourself (and making sure that this
library is referenced before ESSL) you use the standard
LAPACK subroutine instead of the IBM version.

> as well? If works, what should I be aware? I made one through BLAS/LAPACK
> and FFTW3, but I met the same problem as reported before. Maybe it is also
> flag problem...
>
> Regarding to ESSL, should and could I compile one by myself? Because I met
> the same problem as reported before /or even worse---just failed in

ESSL is provided as a binary by IBM (IBM pays people to optimize
it next to perfect for their machines).

> compiling cp2k, when I compiled the lapack-3.1.1 with ESSL. I know it may be
> related to the first question too.

hmmm.... you have to post the arch file and the error message so
that we can make sense of it. there are quite a few things that
can go wrong and sometimes the ibm linker is giving quite strange
error messages or warnings.

cheers,
   axel.