[CP2K:765] Re: nose thermostat

Nichols A. Romero naro... at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 21:28:08 UTC 2008

To elaborate on what Teo said, (he can correct me if I am wrong)

In NVT, the total energy of the *real sytem + thermostat* should be
conserved.
(I don't remember if CP2K outputs this quantity, but most codes should).

The total energy of just the real system (atoms,molecules,etc.) should have
a mean value (after equilibration) with fluctuations proportional to
1/sqrt(N) (or something like that).

If the total energy of the real system increases or decreases without
bounds, then there is something wrong.
Or maybe you are near some phase transition.

--
Nichols A. Romero, Ph.D.
DoD User Productivity Enhancement and Technology Transfer (PET) Group