Intel Fortran Compiler

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Fri Dec 19 15:31:54 UTC 2008

On Dec 19, 9:27 am, ilya <ily... at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> For me intel 11 seem to work fine.
> Try compiling without optimizations. Intel says that building with
> such optims (-xW) on non intel cpus is not a good idea.

ilya,
that is just marketing BS. if the CPU supports the proper SSE
instruction set, it should work. however, i found that in many
cases, the optimizations invoked by -xW (and other SSE related
options) can result in miscompiled code (on _all_ architectures,
also on intel).

to give an example, throughout many patchlevels simple code like this.

val(1)=1.0d0*dat
do i=2,n
   val(i)=val(i-1)*dat
end do

would invariably result in a segfault when SSE was enabled.

if you add to this the fact, that there rarely is a noticible speed
advantage in using SSE for DFT and MD codes (apart from BLAS which is
automatically using SSE if you use MKL or ATLAS or GOTO), it is
actually
better to go for more compact and portable code and compile for
pentium3
architecture (which works quite fast and much more reliable on _all_
current cpus).

cheers,
   axel.