time for every MD step

Axel akoh... at gmail.com
Fri Apr 25 04:58:26 UTC 2008

On Apr 24, 9:40 pm, "LIANG Yunfeng" <liangy... at gmail.com> wrote:
> To run cp2k starting a configuration (not from previous ab initio), do we
> need relax the configuration firstly and then introduce a small amount
> random distortions to the position as cpmd does.

i never do this. if you have a good classical equilibration
(i found that SPC/E water is pretty close to DFT water)
you can just run for a short time with rescaling (or in the
case of CP2k you can now use the CSVR thermostats)
until you reach a reasonable good. nose-hoover is actually
not very good if you are far from equilibrium.

> Even though to obtain a fully equilibrated velocity for system takes
> time(0.5ps?). Actually we should not be very worried about the energy
> conservation, you see the last 1000 steps of my *.ener file, which seems ok.
> A drift 0.008 Ry/192 is still physical, isn't it?

no, a thermostat can hide a lot of crap. if you cannot
conserve energy in an NVE ensemble well enough you
are in trouble. i found that already 0.5fs timestep was an
agressive choice for flexible water and 0.25fs a conservative
choice. 1fs would be very aggresive for deuterated water.
(0.7fs would be better). adding shake can allow up to 2fs,
2.5 if you are very aggressive with classical potentials.

> Can you draw some lines related to the optimizing procedure to the
> equilibrium state for cp2k MD user?

???? cannot parse.

cheers,
  axel.