[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20651] Re: System Exploded During MD Simulation with NequIP Potential

tkuehne tkuehne at gmail.com
Mon Sep 2 07:19:20 UTC 2024

Dear Kam-Tung Chan,

this is to say that your initial structure, at least according to the
employed NequIP potential,
has a potential energy that is larger than the minimum energy + 300 K.
Hence, the released
potential energy is converted into kinetic energy.
This is typically due to an insufficiently relaxed/equilibrated initial
structure, which you can
easily remedy by conducting a quick geometry optimization, which yields you
the 0 K structure.
However, in that case in the beginning of your MD simulation kinetic energy
will be converted
into potential energy, but in that case you only have to equilibrate an
energy difference of just
300 K. Alternatively, you can also extensively equilibrate your system
using MASSIVE thermo-
statting and potentially TEMP_TOL ...

Best,
Thomas Kühne

P.S. Obviously, this may also be a consequence that solely according to
NequIP the structure is
not equilibrated though it actually is employing another potential.