[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20777] Re: SCF Convergence Issues with OT and Diagonalization for CZTS System (Vacuum, Sulfur Layer, and Hydrogen Passivation

L Heidarizadeh lheidari125 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 17 16:25:21 UTC 2024

Hi Marcella,
Thank you for your feedback and suggestions. I wanted to update you on what
I’ve tried so far and ask for some additional guidance.
Since I didn’t include a &KPOINTS block, CP2K defaulted to Γ-point-only
sampling. For my 2x2x1 periodic system, I realize this might not be
sufficient, especially for accurate TDDFT calculations. should I add a 2 ×
2 × 1 k-point grid to sample the Brillouin zone more effectively?

For MD simulations, I’ve been using Γ-point-only sampling since the focus
is on atomic forces. Would you recommend defining a small k-point grid
(e.g., 2 × 2 × 1) for MD runs as well, or is Γ-point-only sufficient in
this case?

I increased the energy cutoff to 500 Ry but still faced convergence issues
with the surface model. I also adjusted the mixing parameter ALPHA down to
0.005, but the issue persisted.
I also applied DFT+U  However, I’m still encountering issues with the
surface convergence.

I tried adding a sulfur layer and hydrogen passivation to address dangling
bonds, but the SCF still failed to converge. You mentioned surface
reconstruction—would you suggest running a geometry optimization on the
surface before attempting SCF calculations? Also, are there any specific
techniques or guidelines for identifying and capping dangling bonds
effectively to stabilize the surface?

I really appreciate your insights so far. If you have any further
recommendations, I would be grateful.

Best regards,
Layla