[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20177] Different Total energy and ENERGY| Total FORCE_EVAL ( QS ) energy [a.u.]

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Mon May 6 07:33:52 UTC 2024

Hi

this is a problem of consistency of forces and energies. During the SCF
some energy terms (especially with diagonalization) are calculated from the
input density and some from the output density. Upon convergence
the energy is recalculated in a consistent manner and forces are wrt this
energy.
However, this shouldn't matter as long as the density is sufficiently converged.
In your case I would suggest to improve SCF convergence, as that will also
considerably reduce the noise (or error) on your forces (good for ML).

regards
JH