[CP2K-user] [CP2K:20158] Re: HSE06 with periodic systems

Frederick Stein f.stein at hzdr.de
Fri May 3 08:36:59 UTC 2024

Dear Nóra,
This warning is not of concern in case of HSE06 (and similar functionals).
CP2K raises this warning to inform the user of a potential violation of the
minimum image convention meaning that the range of the interaction
potential is supposed to smaller than half of the distance to the nearest
neighbor. Its violation leads to unphysical double-counting of interacting
reducing the numerical stability, but may be ignored in case of HSE. It is
mostly of concern if you employ a truncated Coulomb potential with a cutoff
radius larger than half the distance to the nearest neighbor.
Considering your input file, I wonder about the tight EPS_DEFAULT and
especially EPS_PGF_ORB. Did you check that you actually need these tight
thresholds? Unfortunately, some regtests employ these tight values although
they are usually not necessary. I have never used EPS_PGF_ORB lower than
1.0E-7. EPS_DEFAULT also determines the range of the short-ranged Coulomb
potential. In your case, you will probably not be able to reduce it to
prevent the warning. You may get a first guess by testing with PBE.
Best,
Frederick