[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19983] Inquiry on ROKS Calculation Schemes within CP2K

Lukas Razinkovas lukasrazinkovas at gmail.com
Sun Mar 3 07:19:32 UTC 2024

Dear CP2K Community,

As a newcomer to CP2K (my experience is with VASP, GPAW, and Quantum
Espresso), I have been exploring CP2K's capabilities, particularly for
modeling low-spin bi- and tri-radical states of crystal defects through
ROKS (Restricted Open-Shell) calculations for potential energy surface
analysis. I am pleasantly surprised by this code's performance and
capabilities.

However, I am slightly confused with ROKS calculations within CP2K,
especially regarding the implementation and application of its varying
schemes, namely:

   - High-Spin ROKS (default ROKS_SCHEME value)
   - GENERAL (an alternative ROKS_SCHEME value)
   - Low-Spin ROKS

I would greatly appreciate any directed literature or resources that
elaborate on these schemes' implementation and practical use.

Additionally, I have a few specific inquiries that I hope could be
clarified:

   1. Is the High-Spin ROKS scheme tailored for single-determinant maximal
   spin states, where all unpaired electrons align in one spin direction? Can
   it also model mixed (spin-contaminated) single-determinant states for the
   von Barth/approximate spin projection method?
   2. For modeling the doublet state in a triradical scenario, I am
   considering the following configuration:
   &LOW_SPIN_ROKS
     # DOBLET: E(D) = E(Q) - 3/2*E(Q) + 3/2*E(M)
     ENERGY_SCALING -1.5 1.5
     SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1 1 1 # Psi(Q) |a a a>
     SPIN_CONFIGURATION 1 1 2 # Psi(M) |a a b>
   &END LOW_SPIN_ROKS
   Is this the correct approach?
   3. I encountered difficulties running LOW_SPIN_ROKS with the R2SCAN
   functional (however, it worked with PBE). Are there compatibility issues
   with meta-GGA functionals?
   4. Can the energy outcomes from maximal-spin and low-spin calculations
   be compared to deduce exchange splitting (excitation) energy?

I look forward to any recommendations or advice you could provide.

Best wishes,

Lukas