[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19845] Cons. Qty for different ensembles + Pressure fluctuation

Léon Luntadila Lufungula Leon.luntadilalufungula at uantwerpen.be
Mon Jan 29 11:24:27 UTC 2024

Dear Matthias,

   1. The values plotted are indeed the conserved quantity that is printed
   in the 6th column of the .ener file.
   2. Since there are still relatively large fluctuations in the cell
   volume, should I then continue the equilibration until the cell volume is
   constant? I can confirm that the computational cost of AIMD is quite large,
   but I would rather avoid cutting corners, because I don't want
   deterioration of the sampling quality as you point out.
   3. If changing the thermostat/barostat parameters will change the value
   of the constant of motion, can you still use the constant of motion as a
   measure of system equilibration when equilibrating in two parts: strong
   early equilibration (small timecons: T50, B100) + weaker late equilibration
   (larger timecons: T100, B1000)?
   4. Regarding EPS_DEFAULT, I did test the energy conservation of an NVE
   trajectory for several combinations of EPS_SCF/EPS_DEFAULT on a slab
   without solvent and 1.0E-7/1.0E-10 (first picture) gave similar results as
   1.0E-7/1.0E-12 (second picture), but perhaps I should indeed reduce it
   further to ensure stable dynamics.
   [image: default-10.png][image: default-12.png]
   5. I agree that a noticeable energy drift will always occur if you just
   simulate long enough, but I wouldn't expect such a large drift (0.08 a.u.
   for the water box and 0.4 a.u. for the solvated slab if you disregard the
   jump when changing the thermostat/barostat) to already pop up when
   simulating for only 20 ps...
   6. For the solvated slab, I was testing how thick I needed to make the
   water layer to correctly model the structure of liquid water so I simulated
   an NPT_F trajectory for a water layer of 10, 20, 30 and 40 Å. The 10 Å
   water layer is the one I showed in the previous message with the large
   energy drift, but the 20 Å water layer does seem to show an equilibrating
   constant of motion (see below). The input parameters are all the same and
   the structures were all solvated in a similar way by adding a vacuum layer
   to the slab with ASE and solvating the vacuum layer with Gromacs (gmx
   solvate). Any idea why the 20 Å trajectory does seem to equilibrate very
   easily, while the 10, 30 and 40 Å trajectories all show these weird jumps
   in the constant of motion?
   [image: solv20.png]

As always, thanks a lot for all the help and my apologies for the barrage
of questions, these calculations are really hard to setup correctly...

Kind regards,
Léon