[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19835] DFT+U warnings

Krack Matthias matthias.krack at psi.ch
Mon Jan 29 09:09:03 UTC 2024

Hi Dhananjay

The warning is caused by shell occupations larger than the physically accepted value, e.g. a total of more than 10 electrons in a 3d shell. The Mulliken population analysis can give such occupations and the warning hints to check the actual occupations. The warning can be ignored if the occupations are only slightly larger than the expected maximal value, e.g. 10.3 instead of 10.0 for 3d.

  1.  CP2K requires usually much smaller U values than plane waves codes like VASP for a similar effect on the band gap and structural parameters. I suggest to try roughly half the U value, i.e. 2 eV for Mn, first.
  2.  DFT+U is not yet implemented with k points in CP2K which implies that you will have to employ sufficiently large simulation cells.

Your system/setup is too small and does not converge at all and the resulting orbital occupations are useless which explains the warning.
I suggest to try OT without smearing instead of Broyden diagonalization first for at least 3x3x3 unit cells.

HTH

Matthias