[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19978] Does the boundary setting affect the charge distribution under the electric field?

Evelyn Navarro easauasqc at gmail.com
Thu Feb 29 14:33:26 UTC 2024

Hi
I tried to use the periodic electric field to calculate the two-dimensional
piezoelectric material at the periodic boundary, but the charge seemed to
accumulate towards the middle of the two-dimensional material, which was
unreasonable. The normal ones should gather towards both ends of the
material. I want to know what the problem is. (This does not seem to be a
problem with aperiodic boundaries.)
&GLOBAL
  PROJECT 468-zhouqi-0.003d-xyzbianjie-2024-M-EWALD
  PRINT_LEVEL LOW
  RUN_TYPE MD
&END GLOBAL

&FORCE_EVAL
  METHOD Quickstep
  &SUBSYS
    &CELL
      ABC    38.9946780817  32.5196269485    100.000
      PERIODIC XYZ #Direction of applied PBC (geometry aspect)
    &END CELL
    &TOPOLOGY
COORD_FILE_FORMAT XYZ
    COORD_FILE_NAME 468.xyz
      &CENTER_COORDINATES #Centering the atoms in the box
      &END
    &END
#   &VELOCITY #You can set initial atomic velocities in this section
#   &END VELOCITY
  &END SUBSYS

  &DFT
#   WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME 400-RESTART.wfn
    CHARGE    0 #Net charge
    MULTIPLICITY    1 #Spin multiplicity

      &PERIODIC_EFIELD
      INTENSITY 0.003
      POLARISATION -1.00000 0.00000 0.00000
    &END

    &QS
      EPS_DEFAULT 1E-10 #This is default. Set all EPS_xxx to values such
that the energy will be correct up to this value
      EXTRAPOLATION ASPC #Extrapolation for wavefunction during e.g. MD.
ASPC is default, PS also be used
      EXTRAPOLATION_ORDER 3 #Order for PS or ASPC extrapolation. 3 is
default
      METHOD xTB
      &xTB
         DO_EWALD T
        CHECK_ATOMIC_CHARGES F #xTB calculation often crashes without
setting this to false
        &PARAMETER
          DISPERSION_PARAMETER_FILE dftd3.dat
          PARAM_FILE_NAME xTB_parameters
        &END PARAMETER
      &END xTB
    &END QS
    &POISSON
            &EWALD
       ALPHA  1.0
       EWALD_TYPE SPME
       GMAX 75
      &END EWALD

      PERIODIC XYZ #Direction(s) of PBC for calculating electrostatics
      PSOLVER PERIODIC ##ANALYTIC #The way to solve Poisson equation
    &END POISSON
    &SCF
      MAX_SCF 20 #Maximum number of steps of inner SCF
      EPS_SCF 1.0E-05 #Convergence threshold of density matrix of inner SCF
#     SCF_GUESS RESTART #Use wavefunction from WFN_RESTART_FILE_NAME file
as initial guess
      &OT
        PRECONDITIONER FULL_SINGLE_INVERSE
        MINIMIZER DIIS #CG is worth to consider in difficult cases
        LINESEARCH 2PNT #1D line search algorithm for CG. 2PNT is default,
3PNT is better but more costly. GOLD is best but very expensive
      &END OT
       &OUTER_SCF
         MAX_SCF 20 #Maximum number of steps of outer SCF
         EPS_SCF 1.0E-05 #Convergence threshold of outer SCF
       &END OUTER_SCF
      &PRINT
        &RESTART OFF #Do not generate wfn file to suppress meaningless I/O
cost
        &END RESTART
      &END PRINT
    &END SCF
      &PRINT
      &MULLIKEN
                FILENAME  muliken
             &EACH
                MD   1
                &END
        PRINT_ALL F #If T, then printing full net AO and overlap population
matrix
      &END MULLIKEN
    &END PRINT

  &END DFT
&END FORCE_EVAL

&MOTION
  &MD
    ENSEMBLE NVT
    STEPS 250000 #Number of steps to run
    TIMESTEP 1.0 #Step size in fs. Decrease it properly for high
temperature simulation
    TEMPERATURE 5 #Initial and maintained temperature (K)
    &THERMOSTAT
      TYPE NOSE
    &END THERMOSTAT
  &END MD
  &CONSTRAINT
    &FIXED_ATOMS #Set atoms to be fixed
      COMPONENTS_TO_FIX XYZ #Which fractional components will be fixed, can
be X, Y, Z, XY, XZ, YZ, XYZ
      LIST            357..468

    &END FIXED_ATOMS
  &END CONSTRAINT
  &PRINT
    &TRAJECTORY
      &EACH
        MD     1 #Output frequency of coordinate
      &END EACH
      FORMAT xyz
    &END TRAJECTORY
       &RESTART
      BACKUP_COPIES 0 #Maximum number of backing up restart file, 0 means
never
      &EACH
        MD 100 #Frequency of updating last restart file. Default is 20
      &END EACH
    &END RESTART
    &RESTART_HISTORY
      &EACH
        MD 1000 #How many steps a history .restart file is generated.
Default is 500
      &END EACH
    &END RESTART_HISTORY
  &END PRINT