[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19936] Re: .wfn file size

Muhammad Saleh captainmozak at gmail.com
Wed Feb 21 01:16:24 UTC 2024

Hi Ho Chang

The wfn is important since it contains the wavefunction (i.e., Molecular
Orbital) of your system. Deleting it just made your calculation slower
since the next SCF cycle will generate a new proper wavefunction. However,
you can control how often you will dump the MO your system generates (which
reduce the memory requirement) by setting *EACH *on the following section
at CP2K documentation:

CP2K_INPUT <https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT.html> /
FORCE_EVAL
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL.html> /
DFT
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT.html>
 / SCF
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF.html>
 / PRINT
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/PRINT.html>
 / RESTART
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/PRINT/RESTART.html>

for example
-----------------------------------
    &EACH
      *MD 50  # or GEO_OPT depend on what type of your calculation *
    &END EACH
------------------------------------

also you can consider to check the RESTART_HYSTORY

 CP2K_INPUT <https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT.html> /
FORCE_EVAL
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL.html> /
DFT
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT.html>
 / SCF
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF.html>
 / PRINT
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/PRINT.html>
 / RESTART_HISTORY
<https://manual.cp2k.org/cp2k-2023_1-branch/CP2K_INPUT/FORCE_EVAL/DFT/SCF/PRINT/RESTART_HISTORY.html>

The second thing to do is to set how many backup files you want to create.
By default, cp2k will create 3 backups. You can check BACKUP_COPIES in on
RESTART SECTION. I hope it will help.

Best
MuS