[CP2K-user] [CP2K:19928] Understanding GAPW gradient implementation: why many terms are not calculated?

Jürg Hutter hutter at chem.uzh.ch
Mon Feb 19 08:35:21 UTC 2024

Hi

you are having most of term correct. The 1-center terms only depend on
the atomic positions through the coefficients C'. The derivatives wrt the local functions are in fact zero. You can best see that by inspecting their dependencies
on the molecular geometry.

If you wish you can download the thesis of Gerald Lippert from this link (expires in
early March).

https://filesender.switch.ch/filesender2/?s=download&token=7549a87c-9cad-44b0-9138-45a53c6f796a

It is in German but has all the formulas in great detail. To compare to the current
implementation in CP2K you have to set the two compensation charges
(hard and soft) equal. This simplifies the formulas slightly.

regards
JH